Saturday, March 28, 2009

Do Hard Things

I wanted to recommend a book that I have been reading that has been extremely encouraging and convicting.  The book is titled "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Bret Harris, they were only 18 years when the book was written, and even younger than that when they began the number 1 christian blog on the internet (www.therebelution.com).  

This book is not deep in its theological content, however it is very deep in its application towards the teenagers of today's generation.  The official book description describes "do hard things" as "Combating the idea of adolescence as a vacation from responsibility, by redefining the teen years as the launching pad of life and to map a clear trajectory for long-term fulfillment and eternal impact."  

This book contains lots of stories about the twins life and others they have met along the way, which can be pretty exciting to read about.  However, most importantly it encourages this generation to rebel against the low expectations that they have been given, and to use this time as an opportunity to carry out God's Will for your life.

The more I think about it, the more i regret not rebelling against these low standards in my own teenage years.  I became a Christian when I was 17 years old, and at that point I was given the same power of the Holy Spirit that raised Jesus Christ from the dead, I should have used that power at school, work, or  my baseball team to share the Gospel to those who didn't know God.  And yet I was not encouraged by anyone or anything around me to do hard things and rebel against the low expectations that were set for me.  

If you get a chance check this book out, if you don't get a chance recognize the fact that God has big plans for all who follow Christ, and that he has given us all high expectations (and the ability to perform those high expectations through the Holy Spirit). 

No comments: