Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Have you left your first love?

This past Sunday I visited a church that I used to be apart of when I lived in Florida, and the message was based on a couple of different biblical characters that can give us some very important lessons. There were 4 characters mentioned, David, Samson, i forget the third one, and then Peter. The first 3 characters were great, but the time he spent expounding on Peters life really caught my attention. Peter was an incredible man, and one that I often relate to. He was always so zealous and passionate for Christ. He was truly a man's man, (i mean the man fished for a living) so zealous and passionate about the gospel, he was willing to fight the soldier's as they tried to capture Jesus, and was an incredible for leader of the apostles and the church. And yet what he is remembered most for by many is denying Jesus 3 times when faced with persecution. However, after Christ was resurrected, Peter through the tears and the pain was confronted by Christ, as he asked Him if he truly loved him, not once or twice but three times. I am sure this story is familiar to most people that are reading this however, at the end of the service, the Pastor asked each one of us if "we have left our first love" (just as Peter may have had to ask himself this same question, after he publicly denied him 3 times).

During the rest of the day i was constantly reminded and convicted of this question. I kept thinking about when i first became a Christian, when I couldn't learn enough about the Gospel and the effect that it had on me, I couldn't tell others about him enough, I couldn't get into his word enough, I had such a strong desire to fight sin, etc. etc. I never want to lose my first love. I kept watching this video and thinking about my first love.




No comments: