Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Full-Time Follower

I've been so humbled and challenged as our youth group has been keeping up with the developments of Matt Chandler, pastor of the Village Church out in Texas. For those of you who don't know, Matt was diagnosed with brain cancer back at Thanksgiving when he collapsed from a seizure. It has been unbelievable to see how God is using this trial to grow him and his church. I was especially challenged today as I was watching his latest video update when I once again heard him talking about his personal study time. It kinda hit me for the first time that this guy hasn't stopped his pursuit of God in this. I mean I knew he was praying a lot and doing a lot in all this but I mean he hasn't stopped reading the Bible. And I got to thinking how quick I will abandon Scripture when my circumstances aren't optimal, when they aren't the best. If I'm tired or busy or sick, many times my personal study will suffer. This guy is still going about his spiritual business despite the fact that unless God intervenes, he is dying. I feel like I would certainly be able to justify "slacking" a bit in my walk, by taking a break from intense Bible study while I deal with radiation and chemotherapy. Not this guy. He's full time when it comes to following Christ. My prayer is that I will move closer and closer to that for myself.

No comments: