Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Want to Miss Him More

I shared this last night at Main Event but it bares repeating again. I've had special people in my life who I've been separated from for long periods of time and I've genuinely missed them. My friends Rob and John come to mind. At various times in my life I have lived really close to them, enjoyed strong Christian fellowship and love while doing ministry with them. To be separated from them produces a desire to be around them again. Now any time that I get to visit Snowbird I get excited about being around my friend Rob again. There is anticipation about re-living the "Liberty days" together, talking sports and just hanging out again. The funny thing though is that Rob isn't perfect. He doesn't always value my needs above his own. He doesn't always love me selflessly. He is imperfect and yet I have a real desire to be around him again when we are separated. Now can you even imagine what the disciples must have felt when Jesus ascended into heaven? Their longing for Christ must have been a 1000x more intense than anything I've ever known. Here was a friend who was absolutely perfect. A friend who always loved them, always served them, always valued them above himself...and they are now separated from Him. Here is a man who is not just a man, but God of the Universe, the Creator, the Messiah, the Prince of Peace, the one who they have enjoyed a real relationship with...the same type of relationship that is available to me. I imagine they must have "hurt" to be separated from that type of friendship. I want to long for His return and anticipate fellowship with Him just like the disciples did. I miss my friends sometimes. I want to miss Him more.

No comments: