Monday, August 25, 2008

It's Not Worth It Without Him

Have you ever imagined a scenario where your most cherished possession was ripped from your reality? Perhaps a loved one is taken tragically, a talent or ability is lost by injury or accident, a dream of personal accomplishment is destroyed by failed circumstances. Think about the pain and anguish of knowing that your object of love and affection is now gone with no hope of returning. Life perhaps would no longer have the same value as it did before. You would begin to view the world differently, perhaps always failing to recreate the joy in your heart that was felt when the reality of your love existed. I imagine there was more anguish felt at the recent Olympics than there was joy as many athletes failed to realize their lifelong dream of Olympic gold. The past 4 years, probably longer, have been spent with one goal in mind. The faces of defeat spoke volumes...this was not how it was supposed to happen. Life, for now, seems incomplete but most Olympic athletes will find the strength to move on. While their joy and happiness has been wrapped up in sport, for most, new purposes and happiness will be found after the sense of loss has passed. For all of us, our joy and purpose is wrapped up in something. We live, fight and pursue after it with all we have. But when we fail to reach it, many of us can transfer that pursuit to something new. We can find a new object of love. I have learned that I cannot. I am beginning to echo the sentiments of Paul in Philippians 3:8. I am growing to realize that this life has no value, nothing worth pursuing beyond Christ. As I think about this world, I count the objects of it as rubbish, dung, doo doo, in comparison to knowing Jesus Christ. My pursuit, my passion, my joy, my purpose is wrapped up in the person of Jesus Christ. If you take Him from me I have nothing left to live for. The question has been posed, "How would your life change if it was suddenly proven that Jesus Christ never existed." My answer? You just took my life from me. You have just ripped my most cherished possession from my reality. The difference between me and an Olympic athlete? I can't get over that loss. Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ that He does exist, He is in control and one day I will spend eternity with Him. My life makes sense because of Him. It's not worth anything without Him. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Adam. Going to add you to my short blogroll. Feel free to visit mine at http://dlkaufman.wordpress.com
Dan's Mom